Depending on model, Vectra Cognito appliances have options for connecting to the console:
- KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) - Connect VGA monitor + USB keyboard (X24/X29/X80) - sometimes referred to as 'crash cart'. Appropriate in cases where crash cart is available.
- MGT2 - Connect a laptop/client device to Vectra Cognito appliance MGT2 port. Requires Ethernet cable and reconfiguring IP address of laptop/client device to address in 169.254.0.X range. This port may be labelled as MGT2, LAN2 or Support depending on the platform.
- Putty to Console/Serial port - use Putty to connect to Vectra Cognito appliance Serial COM port, labelled as COM, COM1, Console or Serial. (X80 COM1 access is currently unsupported.) Putty access may require special cable/drivers for laptop, and/or laptop may have group policy GPO restricting use of laptop COM/USB ports.
- IPMI - Connect to IPMI (iDrac) port using Ethernet cable and access the IPMI web interface using HTTP or directly to console using IPMI Serial-over-LAN (X24/X29/X80 only).
- X24/X29 - Vectra Cognito appliance uses DB9 COM port serial console
- S2 - Vectra Cognito appliance uses RJ-45 COM port serial console
If the system is completely unresponsive on all ports please check your settings and try again. It is exceptionally rare, even in a failure scenario, for a system to be unresponsive on the console port.
Systems should not be rebooted as a diagnostic step without explicit guidance from Vectra Support. Rebooting an appliance without proper shutdown may cause system or database corruption.
Connect a laptop/client device to MGT2 port
The MGT2 interface on all Vectra Cognito appliances has a default IP address of 169.254.0.10 and subnet mask 255.255.0.0. In order to establish an SSH connection to the MGT2 interface using a laptop/client device:
- Set the IP address of the laptop/client device to address in 169.254.0.X range with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 (Example: 169.254.0.11, with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0)
- Connect Ethernet cable from laptop/client device to Vectra Cognito appliance MGT2 port. (This connection should use a cross-over Ethernet cable, though it's likely that a straight through Ethernet cable will work due to the prevalence of automatic cross-over detection.)
- Initiate SSH connection to the Vectra Cognito appliance MGT2 interface 169.254.0.10 using the default credentials, username "vectra".
» ssh firstname.lastname@example.org
Putty Settings for terminal emulation:
- Baud Rate: 115200
- Data Bits 8
- Parity: None
- Stop bits: 1
- Flow Control: None